STATEMENT OF SHRI EDUARDO FALEIRO, COMMISSIONER FOR NRI AFFAIRS AT HIS PRESS BRIEFING ON DECEMBER 20, 2006
The Global Goans Convention will be held on January 3-5 next. The Conference will be inaugurated by the Chief Minister and the Governor of Goa will present the Global Goans Achievement Award to the following eminent non-resident Goans and persons of Goan origin.
- Dr. Alfredo Bruto da Costa, former Minister for Health and Social Welfare in the Government of Portugal and presently President of the Portuguese Economic and Social Council.
- Dr. Narana Coissoro, former Deputy Speaker of the Portuguese Parliament and presently President of the Institute of Oriental Studies, Lisbon.
- Mr. Fitz de Souza, a freedom fighter, colleague of the legendary Kenyan leader Jomo Kenyata, Deputy Speaker of the Parliament of Kenya. He was awarded the Pravasi Bharatiya Sanman Puraskar by the President of India in 2004.
- Mr. Justice Wolfango Dourado, former Attorney General of Tanzania and Chief Justice of the High Court of Zanzibar.
- Prof. Damodar R. Sardesai, Emeritus Professor of History, University of California(USA)
- Ms. Patricia Rozario, eminent opera singer knighted by the Queen of England with the OBE. Awarded the Asian Women’s Award for Achievement in Arts.
- Mr. Leslie de Melo, artist, sculptor and painter, recipient of several awards from the Ministry of Arts, Government of Austria.
- Mr. Neville Roach, Chairman and CEO of the transnational corporation Fijutsu, Australia and an acknowledged authority on IT and Telecommunications.
Foreign diplomats and some of our Ambassadors and heads of the Departments of the Ministry of External Affairs concerned with Gulf countries, West Asia, West Europe etc. will also address the Convention and interact with the participants. There will be interactive sessions with the Chief Minister, Deputy Chief Minister and other senior Ministers of the Government of Goa. The plenary sessions of the Convention will be held at Hotel Cidade da Goa, Panaji whilst the interactive sessions will be held at the Secretariat, Porvorim. The Convention is open to non-resident Goans, persons of Goan origin, former NRGs and all persons interested in NRI affairs. The membership fee for the 3 day event which includes lunches, dinners, cultural programmes and mementoes is Rs.1000/- and Rs. 500/- for students. Those who wish to attend the Conference may contact for registration Shri Tushar Halarnakar, OSD
Tel no: 2419525/6(office)
Shri Francisco Martins, event manager
Tel no: 9823036417(mobile)
They may also register online on our website www.globalgoans.org.in or at Cidade de Goa on January 3, 2007 at 9 a.m.
( Ends )